Thursday, June 18, 2009

Auditions and Casting

For this director, the most difficult part of the whole process of putting on a show is auditions. I never know for sure who is going to show up, who will work well together, or who will work well with me. When I've held auditions during the school year, lots of people have shown up (which makes sense, because there are more students here during the school year...) but auditions during spring or summer have been less well attended. Before auditions for Standing I was quite anxious.

Auditions happened. I was blown away by the talent that showed up. And then we sat there and tried to cast. We tried and tried for over an hour and the pieces just weren't falling in to place. I left auditions frustrated. Frustrated at my inability to cast this show. We had the talent, why couldn't I cast?! I started praying to know who needed this show, who did this show need, who would work well with one another, who would work well with me, etc. My heart sent, oh I don't know, thousands of prayers up pleading for the Lord's assistance.

Mel gave me a ride home and in the car we started talking about casting. I was still frustrated with myself, but suddenly the Lord stepped in and made up what I was lacking. All of the pieces fell in to place. Over the next few days as we came up against setbacks, the Lord was there holding my hand and leading me the way I needed to go and the way the show needed to go.

We had our first read through on Memorial Day. Everyone crammed into my living room (and I mean literally crammed). There was a lot of laughter and nervous energy in the air as we passed out copies of the script. We opened page one and started reading. I looked around and felt chills up and down my spine as I realized that each person brought an individual and important skill set that the show wouldn't be incomplete without. It was fantastic.

We have been in rehearsals for 2.5 weeks now. The Lord continues to make up what I lack as a director (which is a lot). Through this cast, this story is coming to life. And it's awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment